Volunteer for the Museum
Join us in our mission of bringing people and art together for enjoyment, discovery, and learning. The museum relies on the dedication and commitment of over 100 volunteers to help sustain the museum in many ways. If you want to contribute your time, energy and skills to create a place where people of every background can be touched by art, the Walters offers a range of volunteer opportunities.
Participation in the Volunteer Program is contingent on securing a favorable background check report.
How Can You Help?
You might lead student tours, greet visitors or school groups at the door, host at our First Friday events, staff the visitor services desks or box office, or tell families about all the things to do at our family festivals. And, if you are bilingual, you may help in other ways.
Walters Art Museum Docents complete a year long training program to provide tours to students and visitors of all ages.
Visitor Services volunteer opportunities include the Visitor Information Desk, Admissions Desk, and Member Services Desk
Museum Store Volunteers assist customers and provide information about the museum and city.
Special Event Volunteers
Special Event Volunteers check in guests and usher at member events, lectures and seminars, and help guest find their way and provide information at larger events like Family Festivals and Super Thursdays.
Other volunteer positions are available from time to time for well qualified applicants with special skills in Library Science, Art History Research, Language Translation, Collection Management and Technical Writing. Please list relevant experiences in your application.
- Unlimited access to special exhibitions during museum hours
- Up to 4 tickets for special exhibitions
- Use of the Museum’s Library
- 20% savings in the Museum Store and 10% savings in the Museum Café
- Free or member rate admission to lectures and seminars by curators, historians, writers, artists, conservators, and other experts from the Walters and other institutions
- Discounted parking at the Cathedral Street lot when space is available
- To be appreciated and recognized by the Museum for your service
Museum Volunteer Guidelines
All volunteers will be expected to:
- Make minimum commitments of time, usually one year
- Be reliable in attendance and punctuality
- Abide by museum policies
- Attend training required for your volunteer position
- Collaborate with staff and other volunteers
- Accept evaluation of your volunteer work
- Must be 18 or older
- Must pass a criminal background check and sign a confidentiality agreement
Fill out our online application. If you meet the volunteer job requirements but cannot apply on line, please contact the individual listed on the job description. All positions require basic computer skills and internet access for correspondence, training, and scheduling.
If you are interested in volunteering to fulfill community service hours, we do not offer this program at this time. All volunteers must be 18 or older. For inquiries about Service Learning Hours for High School Students, please see our page for the Walters Art Museum Teen Arts Council (WAMTAC). Opportunities for occasional, short-term, holiday or summer assignments are very limited.
Applications are accepted at all times and will remain on file. Volunteer applicants will be contacted for an interview when a position opens that matches their ability, skills and interests.
The Walters Art Museum uses Volunteer Scheduler Pro to coordinate volunteers.