Frequently Asked Questions
Accessibility and Special Needs
We want all visitors to the Walters Art Museum to enjoy our art and programs in comfort so the museum is equipped to assist people with special needs.
For visitors with mobility impairments. The main Centre Street entrance is equipped with a wheelchair lift, and elevators serve all of the museums public areas, including the café and museum store. A limited number of wheelchairs are available for free at the Visitor Information Desk on a first-come, first-served basis.
Tour Options for Individuals with Disabilities. For the blind and partially sighted, guided Touch Tours and Multi-sensory Tours are available by advance arrangement. For hearing-impaired visitors, transcripts of the audio tours are available at the Visitor Information Desk.
For individuals with hearing disabilities. Many lectures and programs are conducted in the Graham Auditorium. Assistive listening devices are available from the Visitor Information Desk for all auditorium programs. Sign language interpretation can be provided with three-weeks advance notice. Please call 410-547-9000, ext. 237.
For more information about tours and resources for disabled persons, please call 410-547-9000, ext. 235.
Children's Amenities. Strollers are welcome in the museum. Most of the restrooms are equipped with baby changing stations and a limited number of strollers are available for free on a first-come, first-served basis at the Visitor Information Desk. For safety reasons, large diaper bags and back baby carriers must be checked in the coat room; however, frontal carriers may be used. When you need a break or if the kids need a place to unwind, the Family Art Center is a kid-friendly place to play. Nursing mothers should ask at the Visitor Information Desk for a convenient place to nurse your child.
Still photography is permitted in the permanent collection, but video cameras, tripods, and extension cords are prohibited. Works of art on loan or in special exhibitions may not be photographed. Please review our policy on photography in the galleries.
Copying in the Galleries
The Walters Art Museum welcomes artists and students of art to use its collections for study, inspiration, and enjoyment. Sketching with pencils, charcoal and pastels is permitted without prior approval unless they wish to use an easel. Artists who wish to paint must apply to the museum two (2) weeks in advance. They must read the Walters Policy for Copying in the Galleries and sign and return the Acceptance of Conditions form. Please also review our more detailed guidance on sketching and painting.
Guidelines for Visiting
The Walters Art Museum was created for the public benefit and belongs to all of us. Please help us to protect the art and preserve the collection for the enjoyment of future generations. To ensure that everyone enjoys their visit, please observe the following guidelines:
- Please do not touch the objects on display. (The oil from your hands can damage the artwork.)
- To protect fragile artwork, food, drink, and gum are not allowed in the galleries. Food and beverages may be purchased and enjoyed in the Café.
- Smoking is not permitted in the museum.
- Please do not sit or stand on platforms or lean on cases.
- Please mute your cell phones or other mobile devices when entering the museum as a courtesy to other visitors.
- Umbrellas, tripods, packages and bags exceeding 13" x 17" cannot be taken into the galleries; they must be left in the coat check room.
- Considerate behavior is expected of all visitors.
- Parents should maintain supervision when visiting the galleries with children.
- Strollers are permitted but may be restricted during peak times.
- Please follow any instructions of security officers.