Connect Art to Life as a Walters DocentWe are now recruiting docents for a new training class, beginning in January 2018. Please submit an application here. If you are a university student interested in participating in the docent program for academic credit, please contact Verónica Betancourt, Manager of Gallery Learning, for more information.
Website for Docents
Walters docents have access to a special online site for trading information, schedules and more. Docents, log in here.
What does a Walters docent do?
Walters docents connect art and life for our visitors through interactive, conversational tours of the collection. If you are a curious person with a passion for sharing knowledge, consider applying to be a Walters docent. No formal art background is necessary, but an appreciation for art is required, as is a desire to work with children of all ages—the Walters is proud to serve thousands of Pre-K through 12th grade students annually. We will train you to offer engaging tours for our wide range of visitors.
There are many benefits to being a docent at the Walters. Among them, you will be able to:
- Experience the excitement of connecting with visitors in a shared appreciation of art
- Join a learning community of passionate, knowledgeable, and supportive docents
- Deepen your knowledge of the collection and of art history through ongoing trainings with Walters educators and curators, as well as guest lecturers
- Attend Walters lectures and symposia for free
- Travel to cultural destinations and museums throughout DC, Maryland, and Pennsylvania
- Interpret the collection by proposing new tour topics