The Walters Art Museum seeks a Mellon Post-Doctoral Fellow in Islamic art, to be fully integrated into the daily working environment of the Curatorial staff and work closely with the Curator of Islamic and South & Southeast Asian art. In addition, s/he will collaborate with conservators and educators in service of the museum and its mission. The fellow has access to the museum collections, research libraries both within the museum and in the region, and enjoys all the professional privileges afforded other museum staff members.
The fellow will divide her/his time between general curatorial work and specific research projects. General curatorial activities will include cataloguing the Islamic collections; research and plan for the reinstallation of Islamic art; and participate in exhibition projects. The fellow will also be expected to participate in the museum’s education and public programs, and deliver public lectures and gallery talks. The fellow will receive an annual stipend and a travel allowance.
Education: PhD or equivalent with demonstrated experience in the history of Islamic art. Candidates with a PhD or equivalent in Middle Eastern Studies, and a strong interest in visual arts or visual culture are also encouraged to apply.
- Experience working in museum, gallery, or academic institution during or following the completion of doctoral studies.
- Demonstrated fluency in English, both in terms of writing and speaking, as well as fluency in Arabic, Persian, Turkish, or other language(s) necessary for scholarship.
- Excellent writing skills and record of scholarly publications
- Facility with recent ideas and methods common to the practice of art history and/or other academic disciplines related to the study of the arts
- An ability to negotiate, to think strategically, and to advocate for a particular course of action
- Able to communicate comfortably and confidently with members of the public, with academic/museum peer groups, with museum funders, and with other museum staff.
- Able to travel internationally
The Walters Art Museum provides an excellent comprehensive benefits package that includes Medical, Dental, Prescription, Vision, subsidized Transportation & Parking, Museum Membership, Short Term Disability, FSA (Flexible Spending Account), 457b Retirement, and free professional Financial Management Counseling.
For consideration, send a completed application to email@example.com.
Applications must include the following materials: 1) A cover letter explaining the applicant’s interest in the fellowship. It should include home address, phone number, fax number, and email address. 2) A statement, not to exceed four typed pages double-spaced, describing the applicant’s area of research, language study, and their potential relationship to the museum’s collections 3) A copy of a published paper or a writing sample. 4) Complete curriculum vitae. 5) Names and contact information for three referees (academic and professional). We will request that two letters of recommendation be sent directly from professionals in the field familiar with the applicant’s work for finalists for this fellowship.
An Equal Opportunity, Equal Access Employer.
A smoke and drug free workplace.