The Walters Art Museum seeks to hire a curator at the Associate/Assistant level to oversee a collection of over 9,000 works of Japanese, Chinese, and Korean Art, from the 3rd millennium BCE to the 21st century.
The Walters’ collection of East Asian art includes ancient bronzes, arms and armor, carved jades, porcelains, ivories, important Buddhist sculptures, paintings, calligraphies, and prints. These works of art are core to a historic collection amassed by William (1819-94) and Henry Walters (1848-1931), and eventually bequeathed to the City of Baltimore. The curator demonstrates and fosters scholarly expertise in the field of East Asian Art, in alignment with the mission and vision of the museum. This position reports to the Director of Curatorial Affairs.
Education: PhD or equivalent with demonstrated experience in the history of Chinese or Japanese art.
- Experience working in museum, gallery, or academic institution during or following the completion of doctoral studies
- Demonstrated fluency in English, both in terms of writing and speaking, as well as fluency in Chinese or Japanese
- Excellent writing skills and record of scholarly publications
- Facility with recent ideas and methods common to the practice of art history and/or other academic disciplines related to the study of the arts
- An ability to negotiate, to think strategically, and to advocate for a particular course of action
- Able to communicate comfortably and confidently with members of the public, with academic/museum peer groups, with museum funders, and with other museum staff
- Able to travel internationally
The Walters Art Museum provides an excellent comprehensive benefits package that includes Medical, Dental, Prescription, Vision, subsidized Transportation & Parking, Museum Membership, Short Term Disability, FSA (Flexible Spending Account), 457b Retirement, and free professional Financial Management Counseling.
Salary is commensurate with experience. For consideration, send your resume, cover letter and salary requirement to firstname.lastname@example.org .
An Equal Opportunity, Equal Access Employer.
A smoke and drug free workplace