The Visitor Services Associate supports the daily operations and front-line experience for all visitors to the Walters across three entrances and throughout the Museum to create a welcoming atmosphere greet and assist visitors’ with various needs; provide basic information about the museum collection and campus; and resolve routine customer issues and complaints.
The Associate works closely with the Visitor Services volunteer corps, ensuring that they are providing excellent customer service and are familiar with procedures, policies, activities and events associated with the Walters Art Museum. The Associate facilitates membership sales and renewals at the Visitor Information areas and ticketing procedures when necessary; collects customer data and conducts evaluation as a tool to learn more about visitors to the Walters and make recommendations on how to better serve them through excellent visitor experiences.
- Directly supports the daily operations and frontline experience for all visitors to the Walters across three entrances and throughout the Museum to create a welcoming atmosphere, greet and assist visitors’ with various needs; provide basic information about the museum collection and campus; and resolve routine customer issues and complaints by:
- Staffing Visitor Information areas as scheduled by the Manager of Visitor Services. Modeling excellent customer service for volunteers and staff, including proactive greeting and interaction with visitors to direct them towards galleries, exhibitions, amentities, and information about membership.
- Assisting Manager of Visitors Services in maintaining a diverse and enthusiastic corps of volunteers; contributing to the training plan for all volunteers, as needed, on policies, procedures, exhibitions and general layout of Walters so that volunteers and visitors have current information on programs and events.
- Working with Director and Manager of Visitor Services to identify areas for improvement of the visitor experience and providing information about any problems that need to be addressed.
- Operates point of sale and membership purchases/renewals as needed, and facilitates any required ticketing or registration procedures by:
- Selling tickets and facilitating registration to visitors as needed for programs requiring admission; following all proper protocols for secure and accurate financial records and transactions.
- Selling museum memberships and renewals and collaborating with Membership Department to ensure that Walters’ members are greeted and serviced at the front-of-house, in a coordinated and collaborative fashion.
- Preparing required receipt and admission reports in absence of Manager of Visitor Services, and other financial reports to ensure that the information is properly distributed to senior management.
- Performs administrative functions in order to ensure that all data for Visitor Services is accurate and correct by:
- Working with Director and Manager of Visitor Services to identify areas for improvement and efficiencies in administrative duties and interdepartmental communication that would positively impact the visitor experience.
- Working with Manager of Visitor Services to ensuring that all appropriate logs, handbooks and journals are properly maintained.
- Collecting visitor data through evaluations, demographics or other exchanges, as requested
- Conduct daily inspections of the Atrium and Lobby in order to ensure that it is equipped and ready for daily opening and special events, and that public restrooms reflect cleanliness and safety for our visitors prior to opening by:
- Conducting periodic inspections during the day and notifying security and maintenance when assistance is needed.
- Stocking brochures and materials in the racks
- Reviewing current signage for accuracy; communicating recommendations for edits, changes or new signage to better serve visitors
Qualifications include High School Diploma/GED; 1 year experience in visitor service background and an interest in art history and museum practice. Skills include excellent written and verbal communication; excellent interpersonal and public relations skills; competency in handling money and preparing daily visitor reports; and intermediate computer proficiency (Word, Excel, Vista for Windows, and Outlook). Must have the ability to evaluate problems, determine causes of events, formulate and recommend solution; and interact with a diverse group of people.
Alternative working station at Visitor Information desks, in public areas of the Museum. Extended periods of standing and walking may be required. Must be able to lift at least 10 lbs.
This job description reflects management’ s assignment of essential functions. The Walters Art Museum reserves the right to make changes to the job at anytime as the need arises.
Salary is commensurate with experience. We offer an attractive benefits package. For consideration, send your resume, cover letter and salary requirement to email@example.com. Application end date is June 6, 2018.
An Equal Opportunity, Equal Access Employer.
A smoke and drug free workplace.