Contact (410) 547-9000, ext. 325, or email@example.com for more information. Phone pre-registration is required.
Join us for a morning of accessible museum programming designed specifically for children with Sensory Processing Disorders. We welcome participants one hour before the museum opens to the public, allowing families to enjoy the collections of the Walters Art Museum during quiet hours. Families will go on a self-guided tour of selected galleries while participating in multiple hands-on stations that include tactile activities, visual supports, and interpretive materials. Be among the first to utilize our Sensory Fun Packs filled with stimulating games, fidgets, and guided activities intended to support learning within the galleries. Spend time in our dimly lit studios to create a work of art together. Feel welcome to take breaks from activities, utilizing our Sensory Break Areas, located in the calm, dark space of our auditorium. Museum Educators, Occupational & Physical Therapists, and Security Officers work to create an environment that is welcoming, engaging, and free of judgment for all. We are here to help your family have a great time!
- Kids being kids!
- Children’s voices
- Weighted blankets and weighted vests
- Ear plugs and headphones
- Hand fidgets
- Sensory breaks
- Wheelchairs and other mobility devices
- 9–11 a.m. Art activity in a private studio, with adjoining space for quiet time and sensory breaks
- 9–10 a.m. Self-guided tour and hands-on activities throughout our Chamber of Wonders
- 10–11 a.m. Doors open to the public; activities continue