Traveling Trunk Program
This museum resource is designed to serve schools located more than 50 miles from the museum. The Walters Traveling Trunk and all of its contents align with the Common Core State Standards and the Content Standards for Social Studies, Language Arts, and Visual Arts. Designed for grades 5–7.
The Traveling Trunk is FREE and includes:
- Background information on the ancient Near East, Egypt, Greece, and Rome OR Western European, Islamic, and Asian medieval art
- Lesson plans that align with the Social Studies, Language Arts, and Visual Arts content standards
- PowerPoint presentations
- Artifact reproductions
- Photographic reproductions of objects from the Walters’ collection
- Educational books
- Video Tour of the Walters Art Museum on DVD
Why use the trunk?
- Enhance your curricula
- Establish an understanding of the important role of visual arts within human history
- Provide artifacts and replicas allowing students to “hold history” in unison with learning about past cultures
- Allow for in-depth classroom exploration of the Walters’ artifacts and different cultures
- Create an environment for student collaboration to discuss and analyze cultures and artifacts
- Teach students to identify, analyze, and make critical judgments pertaining to the art and artifacts
- Relate students’ lives to various past cultures and ideas
- Help students develop their reading, writing, and critical thinking skills.
To reserve a Traveling Trunk, please fill out the reservation form below.
For more information, or if you are interested in other outreach options, please contact email@example.com.