Please observe the following guidelines when registering for a school tour:
- Guided tours are available Tuesday–Friday, between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. Only pre-arranged docent-led school groups are permitted in the galleries on Tuesdays. After tours are over, self-guided experiences are not available as the museum is closed to the public on Tuesdays.
- A limited number of tours are available on Fridays. Groups larger than 50 students are encouraged to register for visits to take place Tuesday through Thursday.
- A minimum of ten students within comparable grade levels is necessary for a guided tour.
- Self-guided visits are available Wednesday–Sunday. Self-guided groups are encouraged to visit after noon and must share gallery space with scheduled guided tours. Advance registration is required.
Additional Information and Options
School Tour Fees
- Tours are FREE. A voluntary contribution of $3 per student will help us sustain educational programs for students.
- Studio programs are $3 per student for non-Title I schools. There is no studio fee for Title I schools.
Classroom visits are led by museum educators who come to your classroom to prepare students for their trip to the Walters. The visits are free for in-state students. While classroom visits are free, a voluntary contribution of $3 per student will help the Walters sustain and support educational programs.
The Walters is pleased to offer a limited number of bus stipends to Title I schools throughout the state of Maryland. If you are interested in a bus stipend for your Title I school, please check the appropriate box on the registration form. This does not guarantee your bus stipend but lets us know that you are interested. If we are able to provide a bus stipend, you will receive information in your written confirmation letter.
- You must have a minimum number of 25 students to receive a bus stipend. If you bring fewer than 25 students your school will be responsible for the cost of the bus.
- We can only provide stipends for two buses per museum visit.
- Bus stipends are not available for summer programs, afterschool programs, or weekend tours.
- Bus stipends are only available for Maryland schools.
- We realize that some schools receive free/reduced meal plans yet are not categorized as Title I. If this is the case, please email us to discuss your specific situation.
- If we have arranged a bus stipend for your school and you cancel your tour with less than 48 hours’ notice, your school will be responsible for the cost of the bus.
- If you are scheduled to receive a bus stipend, all necessary paperwork must be received by the museum within 30 days of the field trip date. If we do not receive the paperwork within 30 days we will not be able to provide a stipend.
For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bus stipends are made possible by the generosity of individuals and donations from The Delaplaine Foundation, SunTrust Bank and the Women’s Committee of the Walters Art Museum.
Enhance the guided tour with a studio experience where students experiment with materials and techniques to create their own work of art that connects to tour themes. All artwork goes back to school with the students. Studio availability is limited. Please select the studio option on your tour registration form.
Studio Fees: $3 per student (except Title I schools). You will receive an invoice for studio fees with your confirmation materials. Please make checks payable to the Walters Art Museum and mail at least two weeks prior to your visit. Include the school’s name and date of visit on your check. Studio fees are non-refundable. The Walters does not issue receipts at the museum on the day of your visit.
Group Sizes: Minimum of 15 students, up to 120 students maximum.
Length of Time: Combined school tour and studio for grades PreK–1 is 1.5 hours. Combined tour and studio for grades 2–12 is two hours.
Guided Tours for PreK–12 Summer Groups
Guided tours are available for PreK–12 summer groups. Admission is $4 per person for guided tours. A minimum number of 10 students of the same age is required for a guided tour. Bus stipends, studios, outreach visits, and Tuesday tours are not available. Please schedule your guided tour at least four weeks in advance.