The museum Cabinetmaker/Preparator constructs all casework and display elements for permanent and temporary exhibition related projects. They assist the exhibitions team with all casework and display installation/deinstallation and assists other divisions/departments with non-exhibition projects when necessary.
Supports the museum’s mission and exhibitions program to professionally and safely present permanent and temporary exhibitions by:
- Constructing all permanent and temporary exhibitions casework and display elements
- Wrapping, transporting, and installing all exhibition casework and display elements
- Ordering project specific materials, receiving, and organizing supplies.
- Assist art handlers/preparators to move, pack, and install/de-install art objects for the museum collection and lending institutions.
- Building, transporting and installing any necessary construction elements.
- Monitor, repair, adjust and clean tools, machinery as needed. Order replacement parts.
- Assist with the improvements and repairs of the production shop.
- 5 years of advanced woodworking and or cabinetmaking
- High School/GED; BFA in applicable filed preferred.
- Must have comprehensive knowledge and skills with all aspects of woodworking tools, materials and craftsmanship.
- Must have an understanding of museum exhibition displays.
- Must be able to help develop buildable fine cabinetry and display elements.
- Position requires the ability to move, pack and install artworks of all mediums and sizes with confidence and precision.
- Excellent communication and teamwork skill necessary.
Job Type: Full-time
The Walters Art Museum provides an excellent comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental, prescription, vision, subsidized transportation and parking, museum membership, FSA (flexible spending account), 457b retirement, and free professional financial management counseling.
Salary is commensurate with experience. For consideration, send your résumé and cover letter including salary requirements to [email protected].
The Walters Art Museum is an Equal Opportunity, Equal Access Employer. Our policy prohibits discrimination based on race, creed, color, national origin, religion, age, sex or gender (including pregnancy), veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identify, marital status, mental or physical disabilities, or any other legally protected characteristic. This policy applies to all employment actions and complies with all provisions of federal, state, and local laws enforcing nondiscrimination in employment practices. Volunteering opportunities and employment at the Walters is contingent on a favorable investigative background check. The museum is a drug-free and smoke-free workplace. The Walters Art Museum is an at-will employer.