The Walters Art Museum seeks an experienced curator with expertise in Asian Art, preferably with a focus on South and/or Southeast Asia, and a familiarity with issues surrounding cultural property. The Walters’ collection of Asian art includes over 9,000 objects from East, Southeast, and South Asia, including ancient bronzes; arms and armor; carved jades; ceramics; ivories; important sculptures in stone, metal, clay, and wood; paintings; and works on paper. These works of art are core to a historic collection amassed by William (1819-94) and Henry Walters (1848-1931), and eventually bequeathed to the City of Baltimore.
The successful candidate will supervise a curatorial team and serve as a museum point person for issues of cultural property and provenance research. The curator demonstrates and fosters scholarly expertise in the field of Asian Art, in alignment with the mission and vision of the museum.
- PhD in art history or a related field, with a focus on Asian art, preferably in the history of South and/or Southeast Asian art is required.
- 7-10 years’ demonstrated museum experience, working in museum, gallery, or academic institution during or following the completion of doctoral studies
- Demonstrated fluency in English, both in terms of writing and speaking, as well as fluency in a languages related to the area of specialization
- Excellent writing skills and record of scholarly publications
- Facility with recent ideas and methods common to the practice of art history and/or other academic disciplines related to the study of the arts, and familiarity with current issues concerning cultural property and provenance
- An ability to collaborate, negotiate, think strategically, and advocate for a particular course of action
- Ability to communicate comfortably and confidently with members of the public, with academic/museum peer groups, with museum funders, and with other museum staff
- Ability to travel internationally
The Walters Art Museum provides an excellent comprehensive benefits package that includes Medical, Dental, Prescription, Vision, subsidized Transportation & Parking, Museum Membership, FSA (Flexible Spending Account), 457b Retirement, and free professional Financial Management Counseling.
Salary is commensurate with experience. For consideration, send your resume, cover letter and salary requirement to [email protected] .
Job Type: Full-time
The Walters Art Museum provides an excellent comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental, prescription, vision, subsidized transportation and parking, museum membership, FSA (flexible spending account), 457b retirement, and free professional financial management counseling.
Salary is commensurate with experience. For consideration, send your résumé and cover letter including salary requirements to [email protected].
The Walters Art Museum is an Equal Opportunity, Equal Access Employer. Our policy prohibits discrimination based on race, creed, color, national origin, religion, age, sex or gender (including pregnancy), veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identify, marital status, mental or physical disabilities, or any other legally protected characteristic. This policy applies to all employment actions and complies with all provisions of federal, state, and local laws enforcing nondiscrimination in employment practices. Volunteering opportunities and employment at the Walters is contingent on a favorable investigative background check. The museum is a drug-free and smoke-free workplace. The Walters Art Museum is an at-will employer.