The Walters Art Museum is among America’s top 50 art museums. Situated in the historic Mt. Vernon district of Baltimore, the Walters has an internationally-renowned collection of over 36,000 objects. It presents major exhibitions annually, has a world-class conservation studio and research program, and is a leader in education. The Walters’ Advancement Division consists of Development, Marketing & Communications, and Visitor Services.
This Special Events Coordinator will assist and support the production and logistics of all Museum events. Reporting to the Manager of Special Events, this individual will provide support for the museum’s annual Gala and Party as well as all development events. The Special Events Coordinator will also be the primary contact for all rental events and provide cross-divisional support when needed. In cooperation with Chief Operating Officer, the Special Events Coordinator will ensure compliance with the museum’s event guidelines when managing events in order to
Responsibilities include the following:
- Assist with the planning and implementation of the Gala and Party:
- Prepare sponsorship and related forms for distribution
- Using the Raiser’s Edge database, create reports and manage gift acknowledgment for all sponsorships and ticket sales
- Track RSVP’s, prepare escort cards and printed materials, assist with seating assignments and floor plans, programs and menus, and prepare check-in lists.
- Manage sponsorship solicitations and tickets sales
- Code and submit invoices for approval
- With the Manager of Special Events, track revenue and expenses related to museum fundraising goal
- Enter and pull data from Raiser’s Edge as needed
- Provide logistical support to Manager of Special Events and help coordinate facilities, security, A/V needs and volunteers
- Assist with coordination of outside vendors and contractors
- Design and execute development and museum events:
- Manage events for affinity groups and coordinate acknowledgement process for gifts resulting from affinity group events
- Track RSVP’s for events and prepare all event related materials, including name badges, escort cards, and seating assignments when appropriate
- Attend weekly scheduling meetings
- Ensure all events comply with museum policies and procedures
- Support Manager of Special Events as needed
- Work cross-divisionally to support Art & Program division and Director’s Office on event logistics as needed
- With Manager of Special Events and Rentals, plan and produce events for the Development department; coordinate all aspects of events including oversight of caterers, vendors, contracts, and onsite event management
- Book events in scheduling software, send work requests, and manage Development department’s calendar of events
- Manage rentals program and rental inquiries:
- Respond to inquiries from potential rental clients, book events in museum calendar and complete work request forms
- Set up meetings and walk-throughs and explain the pricing structure
- Steward inquiries through internal review process
- Generate rental contracts including payment dates and schedules
- Work with rental clients and their vendors throughout booking and planning process and provide onsite event management to ensure that museum policies and procedures are enforced
- For corporate rentals, work with the Director of Institutional Giving and Government Relations to identify opportunities for stewardship and cultivation.
- Bachelor’s degree and 2-3 years of experience in special events; development experience preferred.
- Knowledge of the local Baltimore community and existing relationships with local vendors and contractors a plus.
- Must be well organized, detail oriented, and have a high degree of professionalism and deportment.
- Strong administrative, time management, interpersonal, customer service, verbal and written communication skills.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office software, particularly Word and Excel. Knowledgeable of Raisers Edge fundraising software.
- Must be comfortable, tactful and diplomatic in working with a diverse group of clients and staff and with large groups of people.
- Requires flexibility and ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Must be able to enforce museum policies as needed.
Salary is commensurate with experience. We offer an attractive benefits package. For consideration, send your resume, cover letter, and salary requirement to email@example.com.
An Equal Opportunity, Equal Access Employer.
A smoke and drug free workplace.