Important Information about School Tours
- Tours: FREE; a voluntary contribution of $2 per student will help us sustain educational programs for students
- Studios: $2 per student for non title-one schools; no studio fee for title-one schools
- Receipts can only be issued before or after your museum visit. Email email@example.com to request a receipt
Prior to your Visit
- Review your confirmation letter for accuracy and notify the museum at firstname.lastname@example.org of any changes
- A museum educator will contact you prior to your scheduled visit to discuss your needs
- Before entering the museum, separate your students into small number-coded groups. The number of groups is indicated on your confirmation letter
- Please provide nametags for students and chaperones
- Review Teacher Resources
- Print out The Art of Chaperoning section below and distribute to all chaperones
- Make sure you have completed everything on the "Checklist"
- Students must disembark the buses on the south side of Centre Street (between Charles and Cathedral) only. For safety, buses are prohibited from stopping on Charles Street. An alternative unloading zone is located on the south side of the circle at the Washington Monument
- All school groups must enter at the Charles Street entrance, unless other arrangements have been made with the museum in advance (see accessibility). Groups will be met by their docents upon entering the museum
- Encourage parents to join your class for their museum experience as we require one chaperone for every 10 students on guided tours
- Chaperones want to learn too, so please remind them to stay with the group at all times
- In order to keep students and the art safe, please remind students to keep their hands to themselves
- Children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult at all times
- Leave all of your food and drink at the door. We will provide bins for your storage needs
- Only pencils may be used for writing and sketching in the galleries
- Backpacks, books, audio equipment and umbrellas should be stored in bins at the door. The Walters is not responsible for anything left in the museum
- If you would like to take pictures, please ask your docent for the best time to do so
- Please silence or turn off cell phones while on guided tours
- PHOTOGRAPHY POLICY: The Walters Art Museum occasionally photographs School Programs activities for future promotional purposes. If you do not want your child photographed, please notify the museum in writing.
Late Arrival and Cancellation Policy
- Groups that arrive late will receive a condensed tour.
- If you need to cancel your visit, please email email@example.com or call 410-547-9000, ext. 232 immediately so that volunteer docents may be informed
- Fees are non-refundable
Inclement Weather Policy
- If your school district has a delay or closure due to weather, your tour will automatically be canceled. We will attempt to reschedule your tour, however there are no guarantees
- Please indicate any special needs on the tour registration form
- Notify the museum in advance if an elevator is needed for any of your students or chaperones, as our school group entrance is not accessible
- The museum will provide sign language interpreters with three weeks advance notice
- The museum does not have group lunch facilities. Please leave all food and drink in the coat room or in storage bins located by the school tour entrance.
- West Mount Vernon Park, adjacent to the museum, provides an excellent picnic area
- Indoor lunch facilities may be available at Peabody Institute, located one block from the museum. For more information please contact Michelle Osteria at firstname.lastname@example.org
Directions and Parking
- Get online directions to the Walters.
- Car Parking: All lots are paid lots, ranging from $6-$10. Lots can be found at Centre and Cathedral streets, Centre and St. Paul streets, and West Franklin Street between Charles and Cathedral. Metered street parking is also available.