Traveling Trunk Program
The Traveling Trunk Program is a museum resource designed to serve schools located more than 50 miles from the museum. This program has an Ancient World or Medieval focus and is designed for grades 5 to 7.
The Traveling Trunk is FREE and includes:
- Background information on the Ancient Near East, Egypt, Greece, and Rome OR Western European, Islamic, and Asian Medieval art.
- Lesson plans that align with the Social Studies, Language Arts and Visual Arts content standards
- PowerPoint presentations
- Artifact reproductions
- Photographic reproductions of objects from the Walters collection
- Educational books
- Virtual Tour of the Walters Art Museum on DVD
The Walters Traveling Trunk and all its contents align with the Common Core Standards and the Content Standards for Social Studies, Language Arts and Visual Arts.
Why use the trunk?:
- Enhance your curricula
- Establish an understanding of the important role of visual arts within human history
- Provide artifacts and replicas allowing students to “hold history” in unison with learning about past cultures
- Allow for in-depth classroom exploration of The Walters’ artifacts and cultures
- Create environment for student collaboration to discuss and analyze cultures and artifacts
- Engage students to identify, analyze and make critical judgments pertaining to the art and artifacts
- Relate students’ lives to various past cultures and ideas
- Help students develop their reading, writing and critical thinking skills.
For more information, or if you are interested in other outreach options, please contact email@example.com.