The Library of the Walters Art Museum
Please note that the Walters Library is currently closed to outside researchers.
Click on the link below to access the online catalogue of the Walters Research Library. You may search the catalogue by keyword, author, title, subject, serial or journal title.
The library of the Walters Art Museum is an important source for research in art history, serving the museum's staff, visiting scholars, students, and the interested public. The library contains a collection of more than 120,000 books, periodicals, and auction catalogues encompassing the history and theory of art and architecture. The library's collection is strong in research materials related to the museum's collections, which ranges from ancient Egyptian and Mesopotamian art to 19th-century European and American paintings and sculpture. Included in the collection is a satellite library in the conservation division that facilitates the conservation staff's ongoing research in the proper care and long-term preservation of the museum's collections.
Library Mission Statement
The Walters Art Museum Library seeks to support the museum's mission to bring art and people together. It serves to provide access to research materials for the Walters staff, volunteers, members, scholars, students, and general public who are pursuing further knowledge about the objects in the collections of the Walters Art Museum.
The Walters Art Museum Research Library
The Walters' library is a non-browsing facility open to the public by appointment only. Researchers should have selected a specific work of art, or group of works for study and be able to provide object ID numbers or the titles of the works of art. Alternately, researchers may browse the online catalog of the Walters Library in advance, and provide call numbers for publications of interest. Additional online library catalogues and research databases are listed at the bottom of this page.
- Library of Congress Home Page
- Johns Hopkins University Libraries Catalogue
- The Baltimore Museum of Art, E. Kirkbride Miller Library
- Maryland Historical Society Library
- Maryland Institute College of Art, Decker Library
- University of Maryland, Albin O. Kuhn Library
- Enoch Pratt Free Library
- Sailor, Maryland’s Public Information Network
- National Gallery of Art Library
- Watsonline, Catalogue of the Libraries of the Metropolitan Museum of Art
- The Archimedes Palimpsest Project
- Baltimore City Paper
- Yahoo! Newspaper Web Directories
- AskArt, The American Artist’s Bluebook
- Maryland Art Source