The Walters Art Museum is among America’s top 50 art museums. Situated in the historic Mt. Vernon district of Baltimore, the Walters has an internationally-renowned collection of over 36,000 objects. It presents major exhibitions annually, has a world-class conservation studio and research program, and is a leader in education. The Walters’ Advancement Division consists of Development, Marketing & Communications, and Visitor Services. Reporting to the Director of Individual Giving & Major Gifts, the individual will be part of a dynamic and collaborative team.
The Development Manager will advance the mission of the Walters by planning, organizing, and implementing strategies to increase the level of personal involvement and financial commitment by contributors. Emphasis will be given to establishing and achieving escalating annual support from individuals, and expanding the number and contribution level of those who associate with the Walters as members and donors.
Responsibilities include the following:
Stewardship of donors:
- Identify, cultivate, solicit and steward prospects and donors making annual gifts over $5,000
- Identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward major gift prospects for project-based support, including exhibitions and campaigns
- Assist with stewardship of corporate donors and building relationships with corporate executives
- With the Director of Individual Giving & Major Gifts, help develop and implement plan for annual Trustee giving
- With the Manager of Individual Giving, identify prospects with the capacity and inclination to make planned gifts, including gifts of art
- Establish metrics for measuring progress in implementing annual goals
- Work collaboratively with the Finance Department to set goals and track gifts
- As needed, facilitate donor stewardship with museum leadership including Executive Director and Development Committee Chair
Prospect Research and Moves Management:
- Manage the Development Coordinator
- With the Manager of Individual Giving, create and implement a strategic and comprehensive focus around individual outreach and prospect management to increase annual giving and develop a strong pipeline of consistent donors
Donor events and cultivation:
- Collaborate with the Manager of Special Events and Rentals to plan and execute donor cultivation events
- Collaborate on the stewardship of affiliate groups
- Support donor events, including the Gala, with planning and staffing
- Manage multi-year fundraising plan for special projects to include identification of prospects, proposals for benefits, and donor recognition opportunities
Perform other duties as required
- Bachelor’s degree required; minimum of 4 years of fundraising experience, experience in supervising staff, as well as a demonstrated history of meeting or exceeding fundraising goals; experience in planned giving a plus
- Demonstrated history working with high level donors desired
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, analytical, budget, project and time management skills
- Computer proficiency with Microsoft Office products, i.e. Word, Excel, including knowledge of computer-based development management tools such as Raiser’s Edge
- Proven ability to work independently and a commitment to a collaborative approach to fundraising with a willingness to participate in activities and assignments that reflect the goals and mission of the Walters.
- A self-starter, attentive to details and possess the ability to work effectively with board level volunteers, donors and prospects. Confidentiality a must.
- Flexibility to work some evenings and weekends; local travel required.
Salary is commensurate with experience. We offer an attractive benefits package. For consideration, send your resume, cover letter, and salary requirement to firstname.lastname@example.org.
An Equal Opportunity, Equal Access Employer.
A smoke and drug free workplace