The Campus at The Walters Art Museum
In the heart of the Mount Vernon Cultural District, the Walters Art Museum is surrounded by parks filled with flowers and fountains. The Walters has the great privilege to house its vast collection in three distinct but conjoined buildings. Each building has a unique architecture that compliments a specific area of the Walters collection.
The magnificent buildings of the Walters Art Museum are available to rent for private and corporate affairs. Host your Special Event at the Walters Art Museum.
Map of the Walters Art Museum
The Centre Street Building
The largest of the museum's three buildings, the Centre Street Building was designed in the Brutalist style by Shepley, Bulfinch, Richardson, and Abbott and opened in 1974. Renovated in 2001 by Kallman, McKinnell & Wood Architects, Inc., the exterior of the building has been radically redesigned at the street entrance and thoroughly reconfigured throughout its five floors. Visitors to the Walters are greeted with a new four-story glass curtain entryway and a dramatic hanging staircase within the soaring glass atrium. Thirty-nine newly configured and refurbished galleries house the Walters' ancient, medieval, and 19th-century art collections. The Centre Street Building also houses the Museum Store, Café, Auditorium and Family Art Center.
The Charles Street Building
Henry Walters' original "Art Gallery" was built between 1904 and 1909. Modeled after Italian Renaissance and Baroque palace designs, its Renaissance Sculpture Court is a replica of the cortile of Genoa's Palazzo Balbi, designed in the 1630s by Bartolomeo Bianco. With its marble floor, paired columns, arches, and magnificent two-story skylight, the Sculpture Court forms the core of the building. Wrapping the Court on the upper level is a loggia flanked by large galleries featuring richly colored fabric walls, home to the Walters' Renaissance and Baroque art and one of the greatest troves of Italian paintings in North America. Around the Court on the lower level are smaller galleries of decorative arts and the Treasury, the Walters collection of Tiffany, Fabergé, Lalique, a Hall of Arms and Armour, an encyclopedic 17th-century Chamber of Wonders celebrating the interrelationship of the natural world and human achievements, and more.