Volunteer for the Museum
Love to talk about and share your interests in art with others? Join us in our mission of bringing people and art together for enjoyment, discovery, and learning.
You don't have to be an expert on art to become a valued member of the Walters team. The museum relies on the dedication and commitment of over 200 volunteers to help sustain the museum in a multitude of ways. If you want to contribute your time, energy and skills to create a place where people of every background can be touched by art, the Walters offers a range of volunteer opportunities for which we will train you.
How Can You Help?
You might lead student tours, greet visitors or school groups at the door, host at our First Friday events, staff the visitor services desks or box office, or tell families about all the things to do at our family festivals. And, if you are bilingual, you may help in other ways.
Volunteers who enjoy working with a diverse student body are invited to apply.
assist customers in selecting merchandise and provide information about the museum and Baltimore
- Learn about art and the extensive Walters collection
- Unlimited access to special exhibitions
- Use of the museum’s library
- Meet visitors from your hometown and all over the world
- Free lectures including Art History 101
- Exposure to the workings of an engaging art museum
- Work with others with similar interests
- Invitations to social events and opportunities at membership rates
- Museum store and café discounts
- Discounted parking
- Satisfaction from giving back to the community and helping to maintain FREE access to art
Museum Volunteer Guidelines
All volunteers will be expected to:
- Make minimum commitments of time, usually one year
- Be reliable in attendance and punctuality
- Abide by museum policies
- Attend training required for your volunteer position
- Attend continuing education programs to enhance your knowledge
- Collaborate with staff and other volunteers, accepting supervision and evaluation of your volunteer work
Fill out our online application. If you meet the volunteer job requirements but cannot apply on line, please contact the individual listed on the job description. Most positions require computer skills and access to a computer for correspondence and keeping current for your position.
Do not complete the application if you are interested in volunteering to fulfill community service hours as we do not offer this program. If you are looking for occasional, short-term, holiday or summer assignments, these opportunities are very limited.
Applications are accepted at all times and will remain on file for up to six months. Volunteer applicants will be contacted for an interview when a position opens that matches their ability, skills and interests.